By popular demand we’ve added a FAQs section, to which you are welcome.
There’s a lot of information on topics that we frequently get asked, so this section should become a good reference archive for you.
KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way.
You can store all your passwords in one database, which is locked with a master key. So you only have to remember one single master key to unlock the whole database.
Database files are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES-256, ChaCha20 and Twofish).
You can get KeePass from https://keepass.info/download.html and choose the version 2.xx
Grab the file and run it to install Keepass:
- Choose the language [English] – Press [Next]
- Accept the license agreement – Press [Next]
- Make sure everything is ticked – Press [Next]
- Choose the options you want – Press [Next]
- Press [Install] to install KeePass
Once the installation is complete you can start configuring KeePass.
Once the program opens you will be prompted to create a new Database – this is where KeePass stores all your passwords.
This needs to be created with a master password – that is the password that will open the database and give access to all the other passwords stored within. This should be a good, strong, secure password to maintain security.
For extra security you can use a ‘Key file’. This means that only if that file exists in the location specified will the database open.
Be careful with the Key File option as if you lose the key file you will NOT be able to open the password vault!
For the database option you can fill in some of the fields if you wish but you can also just take the defaults.
Congratulations! You’ve created a new password vault!
This is the main KeePass window:
Places to note:
- The file tree (where it says “NewDatabase”)
This is where the groups of passwords appear
- The main list
This is where the list of passwords will be shown
- The ‘Notes’ window (the bit at the bottom)
So let’s create your first password entry
Right click a space in the main list windows (or click the little key symbol on the icons bar) – this will open the password edit dialog box:
This is fairly self explanatory in that you can simply fill in the boxes as you go down.
Pressing the ellipsis button (the ‘…’ button) will show the typed password so you know you have typed the correct entry.
Pressing the Key button next to Repeat opens the password generator – I’ll let you play with that option but it’s wonderful if you need to create a new password.
The ‘URL’ box is useful if you want KeePass to open the URL associated with the password you’ve entered.
Press [OK] when you’ve done and you’ll see the new entry in the list!
You can right click the groups in the tree on the left and make new ones to further organise your passwords – then you can simply ‘drag-n-drop’ the passwords in to the correct group.
Remember to ‘Save’ your new entry in the database (that’s the disk icon at the top, though you should be prompted if you’ve made any changes to the lists).
Should you need to edit an entry simply double click the password in the list.
You now no longer need to remember any crazy long passwords!
There are a few extra things you might be interested in, such as ‘Autotype’ that will automatically enter passwords for you. More information about the advanced features is available here:
Setting up DESLock+ isn’t difficult but please be aware it can take several hours to complete, so make sure you have the time. Also please take the time to secure the system properly and save that admin password somewhere where it can be recovered (or make sure we have a copy!).
To start the encryption, right click the DESlock+ Icon next to the clock. Select the Full Disk Encryption\Full Disk Encryption menu.
In the DESlock+ Full Disk Encryption dialog click the Manage Disks button.
Click the Finish button to allow the system to restart and verify the system boots using Safe Start.
A warning will appear explaining Windows will restart. Ensure you have saved your work then click OK to allow the system to restart.
When the machine restarts you should see the Safe Start count down screen, you can either wait 60 seconds or press a key.
When Windows loads login to DESlock+.
Providing the safe start process was successful a dialog will appear explaining it was successful. Click OK to continue.
If you are using a tablet or other touch interface device you may receive a warning at this point that a USB keyboard will be required to start the machine once it is encrypted. Click OK to continue.
Select the Whole Disk or partition to encrypt. Then click the Next button.
A dialog will appear detailing that you should have a backup before proceeding. Click the checkbox Check to confirm and continuethen click Next.
The admin password will be displayed on screen. It is vital that a backup of this password is taken. You will need this to manage or decrypt the system in the future and it can be useful as an extra emergency login should the normal passwords be forgotten.
Click the Save to File button to save a copy of the admin password. You will need to specify a storage location that is not on the system i.e. removable or network storage (Save it to your server and identify it if possible, for instance in a /username/Deslock folder). You can also optionally print a copy of the admin password.
Once the password has been saved, enter the admin password into the Confirm password entry then click Next.
It is VITAL that you save this file somewhere where it can be recovered in an emergency or if you forget your start up password. Your system will become locked without recovery if you cannot log in to it.
Enter your username and password to use with the system then click Add to add this to the user list. This information will be required to start the machine in the future so you should make certain you know what values are chosen.
You can also add further logins for other users with different passwords as required.
We suggest using more than one person’s details. Although this reduces security a little, we feel that the additional ability to unlock the machine by more than one person is worth it.
Click Next once you are happy with the user list.
Set the check box labelled Check to confirm the above information is correct. Then click the Next button.
A progress bar will appear detailing the encryption progress.
The machine can be used while encryption is progressing. You can restart, shutdown etc. as normal and the encryption process will resume when Windows loads.
Once encryption has completed a notification will pop up indicating this.
Important: You cannot add a new device directly from the my.eset.com web portal. You can add a device or multiple devices assigned to your my.eset.com account directly from ESET Smart Security or ESET Mobile Security.
Windows devices except for Microsoft Windows Home Server.
- Once ESET Smart Security is active, you will be prompted to associate your device with your my.eset.com account.
- If you don’t have an account for ESET Anti-Theft at my.eset.com, click Create new account. If you already have a my.eset.com account, proceed to step 6.
- A registration form will open in your web browser. Fill it out and click Create new my.eset.com account.
- After registration is completed, you will automatically be logged into your my.eset.com account. Check your inbox for email confirmation.
- Open ESET Smart Security by double-clicking the icon in the taskbar and in the main program window click Setup > Security tools and then click the slide bar next to ESET Anti-Theft.
- Enter your email address and the password for your my.eset.com account and then click Sign in.
- Type a name for your device in the Computer name field and click Next.
- Once installation is complete, click Finish.
Android devices with ESET Mobile Security
- 1. Associate your device with your my.eset.com account.
- Tap Anti-Theft in the ESET Mobile Security main screen and then tap the ANTITHEFT_ANDROID_SWITCH_OFF slider to enable Anti-Theft protection.
- If you have not completed the Anti-Theft setup wizard yet, we recommend that you complete the following actions before setting up your account: create your Security password, enable Uninstall protection, add your SIM card as trusted, add a Trusted friend, enter your contact details and enable SMS text commands.
- If you already have a my.eset.com account, tap Already have an account? and enter your email and password to sign in.
- If you do not have a my.eset.com account, tap Register.
- Fill out the registration form and tap Register.
- Tap Finish.
- Check your inbox for email confirmation and click the link to activate your account. Now you can enjoy Anti-Theft security features managed from my.eset.com account.
Take our advice and don’t rely on the ‘free’ versions available on the web.
We recommend Eset NOD32
Put simply, it’s been a top ranking antivirus product for a long time (independent checkers consistently rate it as AAA+ (the highest rating offered!)) and is the only protection package not to miss an ‘in the wild’ virus in the last 10 years.
We run it in our office and have never had a virus infect our systems and regularly install it on our clients systems.
It also offers an extremely generous licensing system – they pro rata additional licenses to any existing installations, so you only have one renewal date for all of your PCs, proving extremely cost effective.
This is why we became resellers for it!
Contact or call us for a quote – 08456 340 599